Navigation Toggle

What are your legal requirements

Legal Requirements

UK limited companies and limited liability partnerships (LLP's) are legally required to have a UK registered office address. It is the formal and official address of the company. It does not have to be the place where the business trades, but it does have to be a real physical location.

Companies House and HMRC will always write to a companies official address. 

The companies name should be display at your registered office address.

The name should also be on stationery, website, email etc

A company, depending on its company type, may have some or all of the following records, which need to be available at the company's registered office for inspection.

• register of members;
• register of directors;
• directors’ service contracts;
• directors’ indemnities;
• register of secretaries;
• records of resolutions and minutes of general meetings;
• contracts or memoranda relating to purchase of own shares;
• documents relating to redemption or purchase of own shares out of capital by a private company;
• register of debenture holders;
• report to members of outcome of investigation by public company into interests in its shares;
• register of interests in shares disclosed to public company; or
• instruments creating charges and a register of charges.

Failure to comply could result in action being taken by Companies House.

The company may choose an alternative location to make these records available for inspection. The company can only have one alternative location to the registered office at any given time and you must notify Companies House

That location must be in the same part of the UK as the registered office, e.g. a company registered in England and Wales can have an alternative inspection location in England and Wales, but not in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

The company may choose to keep some records at its registered office and some at its alternative inspection location provided that all the records of a type are kept together. You will need to notify Companies House of this arrangement.

No other mail will be received and forwarded under this service, if we start to receive trade mail, we will contact you to rectify or ask you to apply for our Mail Forwarding Service.